Monday 29 June 2015

Introducing Pea #2

Mmm... Food: Millions obsess over how much they they consume, millions are unable get enough and millions of tons of it are wasted every day. In fact, globally about half of all food goes to waste. It is such an integral part of the human experience. On average we will spend about 4 years of our lives eating. Food is therefore understandably a part of so many memories (good and bad). And, when looking to form new memories it is invariably integral to our plans. Food always has been and always will be a celebration of life.

Some of my earliest and warmest memories are of my mom teaching me to cook "zambezi mud" (essentially a thick chocolate custard) or choc chip cookies on a rainy day. Later in life when I was home schooling and both the folks were working, I often cooked for the family. And my obsession with experimentation, meant they never ate the same thing twice.

These facts serve to highlight my food philosophy. That is that food is there to help us enjoy life. And yet sustainability is key. Part of our responsibility to the human race is not wasting it and part of the responsibility to ourselves in not eating rubbish or mediocre food. I want to enjoy the experience every time, and this has lead to my love of cooking. Being surprised by a new flavour or combination, is like opening a present and finding something you didn't know you always wanted. Seeing the expression on someone else's face when they do the same is priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment